Castle

In 1873, designed by French architects, Ivane Mukhranbatoni began construction of the castle that took 12 years to complete. The surrounding gardens were designed by a Versailles gardener. Both castle and grounds captured visitors’ attentions. The huge venue was a cultural centre for the Georgian elite. Ivane Mukhranbatoni hosted many guests including famous Georgian public figures counting writers and poets such as Ilia Chavchavadze and Akaki Tsereteli, along with the Russian Imperator of the time. The castle was famous for its Italian gilded furniture together with the first European parquet in Georgia. The castle’s first floor housed an amphitheater for 150 people, and on other floors were a variety of salons. During its renovation the castle was visited by 81 year-old Tatiana Faberge, descendent of the famous French Jeweler Carl Faberge. She also claimed to be the great-grand daughter of Ivane’s brother. Tatiana has initiated the return of the original furniture that was in the castle during the 19th century. After the renovation the furniture will be placed in the castle’s museum.
 

Wine Cellars

Underground cellars comprised 20 compartments.The main tunnel connected the winery and the castle. To compliment the modern winery the chateau cellar was restored to its original historical design. Today the cellar stores 60,000 barrels of wine at a constant fifteen degrees Celsius.